sophisticated world traveler

  • Yes, I'm officially one of those people who jets off to exotic sub-tropical locations for the weekend. How indulgent and luxurious to shell out hundreds of dollars for a trip that only lasts 2 days.
  • Only I didn't have to shell out hundreds of dollars because I stayed with my dad who was in Florida for a conference.
  • Destination: Hollywood Beach, Florida. It was the first time I was on an airplane by myself, only my 4th time on an airplane. The last time I was on a plane was 10th grade in high school, in the "pre-9/11" era of flying. I didn't know everyone had to take off their shoes, I thought they pulled out some random people from the line. One very nice security officer had to guide me through the whole process.
  • I still hate flying. Hate, hate, hate.
  • Total airtime from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to White Plains, NY was 2 and half hours. I could go from Washington Heights to Rockaway Queens on the A train in 2 and half hours.
  • I like the cold. Sure spending a few days in 78 degree weather (in February) was nice, but it was also nice to take that first gulp of crisp, sub-zero air in New York. So refreshing, honestly.

But, the real reason for this post, palm trees. So gorgeous. I've never seen such a beautifully designed tree in my life. And they're everywhere! On the beach, in people's backyards, lining streets and highways. Such an simple, elegrant trunk, gracefully bent to reach the sun. There are no messy branches that would break off in a storm, no broad leaves that fall off in the wind. Just a small bunch of branches at the top with slender leaves that fan out to catch the sun. Simply amazing. I took so many pictures of palm trees, because who knows when I'll see them again? I hope the residents of Florida and all tropical places appreciate their palm trees.

Maybe my appreciation for trees comes from reading the Botany of Desire, which discusses how plants cater to human's desires: sweetness, intoxication, beauty, etc. After reading the chapter about pototoes (desire: control) I helped myself to a bag of blue potato chips, the blue potato was originally farmed by the Incas. They are now the offical snack of JetBlue airlines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.