Introduction

Ever since I graduated from college all of a sudden I have all this free time to read whatever I want. So I read a lot of books - so many so fast that I don't even keep track of them or remember them soon after they're gone. So its time to give my books some credit.

Since I do most of my reading during my 1 hour commute on mass transit from southern Westchester to lower Manhattan, the criteria for a good book is one that makes me forget where I am. A good book makes me forget that I'm on a overcrowded, overheated subway car with people stepping on my feet, coughing on my hands, or squishing me with absurdly large briefcases. A good book makes me not care if my train is 15 minutes late. Or that it gets stuck behind a disabled train and has to go in reverse for about 30 minutes to get around it. Or that it is cancelled altogether. All of these are events have potential to create huge amounts of stress. But if I have a good book, these things don't matter. If I am reading a good book, I can be transported from my house in suburbs to the streets of lower Manhattan without even realizing it.

I'm not an English major and I'm not the best writer, but I think I read enough books to have some agency to have a blog and write my thoughts about them.

What I read: mostly fiction. I also like interesting and quirky books about history and science because deep down I'm a huge science dork.

I hope this blog helps other people find good stuff to read. Once I get it more established, I hope to invite other people to post their reviews and critiques of whatever they are reading to increase the variety of books and thoughts.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.